FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Kathleen Mock, Principal
Term of Employment: August 7, 2021 to June 10, 2022; renewable at the end of the term
Overview of St. Michael’s School
St. Michael’s School is a Catholic School in the Diocese of San Diego serving approximately 580 students in Preschool through eighth grade. Established in 1964 by the Sisters of St. Clare, we are the largest Catholic elementary school in the Diocese, with two sections of each grade level K- 4, and three sections of each grade level 5-8.
The mission of St. Michael’s School is to guide students to grow in faith, knowledge, and character. Differentiated instruction is provided so that each student is challenged at their “just-right” learning level. We seek to educate the whole child, and students are encouraged to develop their God-given talents. With rich content and an emphasis on inquiry-based and student-driven projects, students are empowered and encouraged to be active and engaged learners. Our teachers apply best practices through collaboration, integrated curriculum, brain-based teaching and learning methods, and continued professional development.
St. Michael’s School seeks an inspiring music teacher who is responsible for teaching music education to students in Preschool through Grade 8. Students will grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned music experiences which include singing, moving to music, and playing instruments, as well as basic music theory and history.
- Teaches general music to students in Preschool through eighth grade including music theory, appreciation, history, and musical theatre aligned to standards
- Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of students
- Teaches liturgical music for weekly school Masses
- Prepares and leads student choir for school Masses
- Provides instrumental music instruction for students in Grades 5-8
- Serves as Musical Director for school musical theatre program (two shows per year); works collaboratively with the Artistic Director
- Plans, rehearses, and directs students in three musical programs for school and community (two Christmas Programs and Spring Fine Arts Festival)
- Prepares and leads choir for graduation, Catholic Schools Week Open House, Fall Festival, and other smaller events
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment during practice, group rehearsals, and music performances
- Evaluates each student’s musical growth and contribution to the performance of the group
- Communicates clearly with parents and school faculty/staff on the progress of individual students
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments, and equipment to prevent loss or abuse
- BA in Music or Music Education
- Knowledge of sacred music, specifically the Roman Catholic Mass
- Vocal and instrumental skills
- Piano Accompaniment
How to Apply
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for a minimum of three references. Please combine all documents into a single PDF and send to email@example.com. For more information about St. Michael’s School, please visit our website at www.smspoway.org or search /smspoway on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Aware of our primary mission as effective instruments of the educational ministry of the Church and witnesses to the love of Christ of all people, St. Michael’s School admits students of any race, color, racial and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities of the school.